Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sometimes I just sit and think...

and sometimes, I just sit.

I had a great event in Santa Monica CA on Friday night that went until nearly 1AM and then I packed up the toys and drove all night to get to University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale AZ by 9AM for my college graduation at 10AM (6-hour drive). I slept for about two hours out in the desert somewhere but it really took a toll on my body.

I had a dream out there about a bizarro parallel universe where everybody wore black robes and square hats and marched in to a giant stadium while Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance played... wait a minute...

I had a splitting headache and generally wasn't feeling well for my graduation and a dose of Tylenol proved ineffective. It was good to see some instructors and classmates from the prior years but I wasn't my usual witty and charming self. The whole experience was a blur unfortunately. Not just the ceremony itself, but looking back, where did the years go and all of the classes and assignments? Since all of my text books were in an online library, I was robbed of the opportunity for a book burning party. I didn't get to rip up a bunch of old assignments even- I just had to delete them. What's fun about that? Toga party anyone?

My sister Lauri also graduated yesterday with a Masters degree from NAU! Congratulations Lauri!

I still haven't collected all of my thoughts on the subject of graduation. I'll post again when I get the photo of me walking across the stage to receive my diploma- as long as it's a good picture and my eyes are open and everything.

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Aw shucks...I was hoping for a picture. I was emotionally drained at the end of the day but pleased with my accomplishment as I'm sure you were.

Curtis Whipple said...

I was emotionally drained too... but THAT sensation was overshadowed by the physical drain. I slept from 2PM until 6PM and then layed in bed until 8PM and then got up for a meal and then went back to bed at 9. I'm feeling lots better today. I got several cards and emails and calls from friends and industry contacts in the last couple of days. That's cool!