Sunday, February 8, 2009

And... Mr. Whipple doesn't have any hair!

That was the comic relief tag line for a radio ad campaign for my bald father and my bald uncle, also a Mr. Whipple of course, who had a small chain of department stores in northern Arizona when I was a kid. It didn't matter which bald Mr. Whipple they were referring to as they were both markedly BALD! My nephew, Jeff, wrote a very funny and a very raw blog post last month about the fact that he is losing his hair at a rather young age. Here's the link http://voicerising.blogspot.com/2008/12/crazy-bald-heads.html

Thankfully, I have a full head of hair at the old age of 43. It started graying on the temples about 4 or 5 years ago and although I said I would never color it-- I swore that I'd wear it like a crown--because I'd earned it! Well, I find myself coloring it- and liking it. One can only change around the living room furniture so much-- to change my hair up from time to time seems to satisfy my need for some spice. The gray is advancing, but thanks to the chemical weapons deployed by Michelle at Ultra, I'm winning the battle. It still seems pretty thick and she has sworn that she'll tell me when I begin to have a bald spot or something.

I'm sad that Jeff is losing his hair-- because I love my hair-- We don't have much control over whether it stays in our scalps, but we can all CHOOSE how to cut it and color it and I still seem to be able to screw that up!
Here's me in about 1988. That's alot of years ago. In spite of the mullet-ness of that one, I still kinda like that photo. This was taken in 2006. The easy-to-maintain-scare-the-new-neighbors-in-Arizona cut. It worked just fine as an entertainer in Los Angeles. Arizona? Not so much...Here's me in about 1993- ish. POOF!

This is me (center) with my crew at the steel yard in LA in about 1991 or so. This is probably the only picture where the crazy hair seems to make any sense. We are some scary looking guys that I wouldn't want to tangle with. I miss them.

The last one here is the most current- it compliments the other guitar pic from 20 something years ago. I was getting myself pumped up to entertain about 200 13 and 14 yr olds at a Bat-Mitzvah up in Scottsdale last month. Adena Photo took this one. She does a great job on family photos too. http://www.adenaphotography.com/ My bangs have grown another inch in the front and I had Michelle cut about an inch and a half off of the back since this was taken.

Stand by for some more crazy hair before 2009 is out.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

You never cease to surprise me with your hair style changes over the years. Good luck with keeping it all. If you're not losing it by now, you probably won't. Grandpa Whipple had a full head of hair all his life.

everyday katie said...

What happened to gray hair anyway? It's really a thing of the past. People just don't let themselves gray. It's people like me who gray in their 20's. I can't gray gracefully in my 20's, so I color it. But it's a downward spiral. I think it will be hard to ever feel like I'm at the point that I'm ready to make the choice to be gray. But at the same time I find a lot a beauty behind gray hair.

Great pictures to compliment that post. I always look forward to your new do every time I come out for a visit. Since it's always several years between visits, your hair is drastically different from the time before. I think mine has been slight variations of the same thing for over 10 years now. BORING.

Lauri said...

A hair post! I did one of those a while back. It's crazy to look at the hair styles we once thought were cool.