Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009- I'm coming out swinging!

It's been a whirlwind week. I was elected president of the Phoenix Chapter of the American DJ Association. I had lunch yesterday with the National president of the ADJA. He is a retired DJ that I knew for many years in Southern California- even before I joined the association. It's always good to see him.

I wrote a lovely article for a local bridal publication that hits the newsstands this week. It will be read by both industry types and brides. I'm quite excited about that. My previous publishing record was about 80 copies of a church newsletter. This will be 22,000 copies on the stands for two months. When I submitted the article last month, I received an email back- inside of 10 minutes- that it was accepted for publication without any qualifications!

I have contracts in place for 50% of my sales goal for 2009- It's only January 3rd! 2009 is shaping up nicely.

I'm in countdown mode at school. I start my 3rd to last class on Wednesday. I'll finish up on April 15th and Graduation is May 9th out at Cardinals Stadium. I blew my chances of graduating with honors though- I choked in a statistics class and got a C. I have had straight A's in all other classes but alas, I was only allowed a single B grade. When I get done, I'll be lernded gud!

My best customer, Thee Wedding Warehouse, out in Goodyear, is having a biggest loser contest and the winner receives a wedding gown. Although I have no use for a wedding dress, I am participating with the brides as part of my guerrilla marketing campaign. If I go get weighed in every Saturday and interact with 40 or 50 brides for 12 weeks, I'm thinking I could book a few of their weddings. I'm 6 lbs over the high end of my weight range for my size. I'd like to get down to the low end of my range. My goal is 11 lbs, but I'd be happy with the 6 lbs. I am working in Los Angeles this weekend so I won't be available for the kick-off weigh-in party so I'm being weighed in at a big industry function at Raven Verrado Golf Club on Thursday night before I leave in front of florists, caterers, wedding venues, photographers, DJs, musicians, event planners. What was I thinking? Well, any press is good press! The blog at Thee Wedding Warehouse indicates (in regards to my participation) that an old DJ is one thing... but an old FAT DJ, well, that's one toke over the line.

I'm off to a wedding at the Wig Wam Resort today. What a great way to kick of a new year.

1 comment:

everyday katie said...

It's no wonder your article was accepted without any qualifications. You're a very captivating writer. I discovered your blog today and had to keep reading. Truth be told, your blog is not lacking images even though you post minimal pictures. (Though the picture of you on the couch is fantastic.)

What a way to ring in 2009. Happy New Year!